Thursday, April 9, 2009

Sam Walmart, What Message Are You Sending Your Customers?


Sam Walmart has worked hard to build a shopping experience with his Super Walmart stores. Everything from gardening the groceries, automotive to electronic, household to pet supplies can be found within its walls. As I enter the Walmart stores, I find the greeters friendly and warm and make me feel really welcome. Perusing through the aisles, I can almost hear the merchandise cry out, “Buy me, buy me!” I continue with my shopping, picking out those items I originally came to get, and a few I did not intend to buy. I move toward the checkout lanes, looking for the one with the shortest line and rush to the cashier. She/he greets me with a smile, and asks if I found everything OK. I say yes, returning her smile, smiles are contagious. She scans each item and bags my purchase. I pay for my purchases and place my items in my cart. I say have a blessed day, a response is normally returned, and proceed toward the exit. Now, this is where the problem arises. I am stopped at the door; my purchase is checked and compared with my receipt, as if I am walking out with something I did not pay for. I feel violated and suspected of being a thief. Others who have checked out proceed to the exit and leave. I stand there and watch as only certain ethnic groups are stopped and subjected to the search. My feelings of the warm welcome are now replaced with anger. Sam, what message are you sending to your customers? Although I enjoy the shopping, there are now certain Walmart stores I do not patronize.

1 comment:

  1. You're not alone - many customers are insulted by the prospect of having their purchases inspected to prove their honesty. Few people seem to realize it, but receipt and bag checks are voluntary. Just because a greeter or security guard asks you for your receipt doesn't mean you're under any obligation to show it. Just say "No, thanks" and continue out the door. You're not being difficult or rude, you're just exercising your right not to be searched.

    Legally, stores can only detain a customer (prevent him or her from leaving) when they have probable cause to believe that shopper has stolen. Probable cause is a high legal burden to meet and usually requires actually witnessing someone steal. Employees have every right to ASK to search your bags but no right to search them without your consent.

    They cannot detain you simply for refusing to be searched. If you say no and they block the exits or otherwise try to force you to show your receipt, they are committing false imprisonment or, in some states, kidnapping.

    More on the law: http://www.crimedoctor.com/loss_prevention_3.htm

    Start saying no today!

    ReplyDelete